Moving to Cobourg-Port Hope (Northumberland Minor Hockey)

PrintMoving to Cobourg-Port Hope
  If you are moving into Northumberland's "protected area" or "right of choice area" and want your son or daughter to be eligible to attend Rep Tryout, the following will provide a step by step walk through of what’s required (before attending REP tryouts). 

This is an easy and reasonably streamlined process if you provide all mandatory documentation, correctly and in a timely manner. In the event one or more obligatory documents aren’t provided, no guarantee on response time exists, and it’s probable that the player will miss some/all tryouts. - Do not wait until the last minute.
  2024 update OHF now takes care of all residential transfers - visit  to complete your transfer   
  Northumberland is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by [OMHA Regulation 3.3] governing that only confirmed residents of Cobourg and Port Hope's "protected area" or those players in "Right of Choice" area [OMHA regulation 3.4] shall be eligible to tryout, and be rostered to a Rep team.    

Northumberland's "Protected Area" is from Townline Road Port Hope at Lake Ontario North to the 401 East to Normar Rd
"Right of choice area" would be anywhere outside the protected area to the protected area of associations in the area 

  Please read the instructions carefully and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete will not be processed and will only delay completion. 
  Step 1: Obtain the necessary documents:
  Mandatory Documents

  • Copy of Birth Certificate for Player
  • Copy of Purchase or Rental Agreement (amounts can be blacked out)
  • Copy of Drivers License with new Cobourg or Port Hope Address
  • Copy of Home Insurance with new Cobourg or Port Hope Address
  • Copy of bills with the new Cobourg or Port Hope address (the more the better)
  • Copy of school enrolment confirmation (citing school year): School MUST be in Cobourg or Port Hope
  • Notary Public Affidavit in split custody circumstances, with split residence, confirming the player resides within Cobourg or Port Hope more than 50% of the time (joint-custody). Note: this can also be used as additional documentation in other family or custody orders
  Optional Documents (ensure approval)   
  • Property Tax bill/statement for new Cobourg/Port Hope Address
  • Land Title/Deed

  Step 2: Scan each document individually 

1. Do not come into the NMHA office and ask them to scan for you.

2. Do not scan all documents into one big file.  Scan each as its own file/attachment.

The attachments MUST be in PDF format (the only acceptable format) and each document must be smaller than 3MB.

Step 3: Complete Application Please complete the following OMHA Residential PDF.  You will need to sign and date the document and send it to us with all of the Required Documents from Step #1.

Note:  If you are moving from another OHF branch i.e.; GTHL, ALLIANCE, NOHA etc. you will also need to complete this OHF Residential PDF.
  Step 4: Email Us Documents  Email all the OMHA application along with all required documents to our OMHA Centre Contact. 
  Step 5: OMHA Approval Once you get the “RECEIVED” email from the NMHA OMHA Centre Contact, it will take up to 7 calendar days to verify, process, upload, and get the OMHA to approve documents in the Hockey Canada Registry.  At the end of that 7 day period, you will receive an email notifying you that you are now eligible to register your player to attend Rep Tryouts.


  Q.  What is the Cobourg/Port Hope boundary for determining residency compliance?  

If you are moving into Northumberland Minor Hockey Association's "protected area" or "right of choice area", you will need to complete a residential transfer.  This is advised regardless of interest in rep programming versus house league programming.

This is an easy and reasonably streamlined process if you provide all mandatory documentation, correctly and in a timely manner.  We cannot submit the request for approval until all the obligatory documents are provided.  Likewise, we also cannot submit a request until the move has taken place.  There’s no guarantee on response time, so please do not wait until the last minute.  We ask that you please contact our OMHA Centre Contact via email at [email protected] so that you can be provided with the appropriate form and informed of the appropriate process based on where you are moving from.

Northumberland is a residence-restricted association, and fully abides by [OMHA Regulation 3.3] governing that only confirmed residents of Cobourg and Port Hope's "protected area" or those players in "Right of Choice" area [OMHA regulation 3.4] shall be eligible to tryout, and be rostered to a Rep team.   

Again, applications that are not complete cannot be processed and will only delay completion.  While you will be given all of the pertinent information by our OMHA Centre Contact, please be aware that you will need to provide the following:

·         Completed transfer form,

·         Official confirmation of school enrollment,

·         Letter to the school authorizing the OMHA to check on and confirm enrollment during the school year,

·         Copy of fully executed agreement of purchase and sale, registered transfer of ownership, or rental            agreement,

·         Copy of parent(s)’ updated driver’s licences showing the new address,

·         Copy of a utility or similar bill (i.e., hydro, telephone, cable, credit card, etc.) demonstrating parent(s)’ name and new address,

·         If applicable, an executed copy of any relevant separation agreement, custody order, or divorce decree.

NMHA boundaries are:

East: Normar Road, Cobourg

West: East Townline Road, Port Hope

North: 401

South: Lake Ontario

Centre Point: 7455 County Road #2

Right of Choice and Shared Areas do exist around the Northumberland protected area under OMHA Regulation 3.4

 Centre Point of Surrounding Centres (for distance calculations)

 Rep Centre                                                        Centre Point Address                      

Baltimore Minor Hockey                              4882 County Road #45, Baltimore                             

Brighton Minor Hockey                                 40 Main Street, Brighton                               

Millbrook Minor Hockey                              2 King Street West, Millbrook                     

Newcastle Minor Hockey                             103 Caroline Street West, Newcastle                      

Orono Minor Hockey                                     8 Centreview Street, Orono     



  Q. I am moving to Cobourg/Port Hope from another centre that is not part of the OMHA (GTHL, out of province, etc.) - does that make a difference?   
  A. Yes it does! Per OHF regulation E.99, if you are transferring from another hockey centre that is outside of the OMHA, you will also need to submit this Minor Hockey Player Residential Form.  
  Q. I am thinking about moving to Cobourg/Port Hope, but haven’t settled on a home/condo/rental.  How does this impact me?   
  A. Your player is not eligible to play Cobourg/Port Hope Rep/MD Hockey until you satisfy all documentation requirements outlined above.   
  Q. I have purchased a home/condo/rental in Cobourg/Port Hope, but I don’t move in until after Tryouts.  Is my player eligible to skate at Tryouts?   
  A. No – you must reside in Cobourg/Port Hope prior to tryouts.   
  Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Cobourg/Port Hope, the other is not – is my player eligible for tryouts under this circumstance?  
  A. As long as you can satisfy all documentation requirements above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Cobourg/Port Hope parent, and the player attends school in Cobourg/Port Hope, then the player will be eligible.   
  Q. My purchased home in Cobourg/Port Hope doesn’t close until after the 2021-22 season starts (Sept) – what now?   
  A. Unfortunately, your player will not be able to participate in tryouts for the 2021-22 season as per current OMHA regulations.   
  Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?  
  A. No – the Hockey Canada Registry will block all activity by NMHA until such time that the residency request is processed.   
  Q. I don’t agree with this residency stuff and I am going to file a false move.   
  A. You should be aware that every Residency/Move request and all documentation is thoroughly investigated by the OMHA, and any false claim or misleading information may result in player suspension for a prolonged period of time, regardless of association (Hockey Canada).  
  Q. What is the process between the NMHA and the OMHA?   
  A. Your documents will be reviewed by the NMHA for completeness, accuracy and format.  Should they pass this preliminary review, the NMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR).  Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness.  The OMHA will then a)approve, b)decline, or c)investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the NMHA accordingly.  Once notified, the NMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.   
  Q. I am moving into Cobourg/Port Hope but my player has no interest in Rep and will not be trying out for any of those teams, nor are they interested in being an affiliated player to a Rep Team – what process do I follow?   
  A.  You can register with NMHA and play House League, but your child will not be eligible for REP.